The UN Palestinian agency chief seeks a probe into the treatment of Gaza staff by Israel
Credits: Jaafar ASHTIYEH / AFP

The UN Palestinian agency chief seeks a probe into the treatment of Gaza staff by Israel

The head of the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) called on Tuesday for countries to back an independent investigation into alleged killings and detentions of its staff and damage to its premises once the Israel-Hamas conflict ends.

UNRWA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East) has made allegations against Israel, claiming that its facilities were deliberately targeted during more than seven months of conflict in the Gaza Strip. According to UNRWA, 182 of its staff members in Gaza were killed, and over 160 of its shelters were struck, resulting in the deaths of numerous individuals seeking refuge from Israeli bombardment.

After briefing U.N. member states in Geneva, UNRWA Commissioner-General Philippe Lazzarini told reporters he wanted the countries to back an independent investigation "to look into this blatant disregard of the United Nations in order to avoid that this becomes also in the future the new standard."

Lazzarini said Israel blocked him from entering Gaza last month, and that he plans to visit again on Sunday. He voiced hope that Israel would let him in.

UNRWA is the biggest humanitarian aid provider in Gaza where its 13,000 staff there also run schools and social services for the refugees who make up the majority of Gazans.

Israel accuses 19 of its staff members of taking part in the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks against Israel that killed 1,200 people and triggered Israel's military offensive.

Health authorities in Hamas-run Gaza say more than 34,000 Palestinians have been killed in the offensive, intended by Israel to eliminate the Palestinian militant group.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called for UNRWA to be shut down, saying it seeks to preserve the issue of Palestinian refugees.

A review of the agency's neutrality said Israel had yet to provide evidence for its accusations that a significant number of UNRWA staff were members of terrorist groups and Lazzarini said that all but a handful of countries had now unblocked funds they had paused after the Israeli allegations.

The agency has also raised $115 million in private funding, he said.

Another U.N. investigation into the allegations against UNRWA staff members is still under way.

Food and other humanitarian aid supplies to Gaza have improved in April, but there is still far from enough to reverse the trend towards famine, he said.

* Stories are edited and translated by Info3 *
Non info3 articles reflect solely the opinion of the author or original source and do not necessarily reflect the views of Info3